“A smile is a curve that sets everything straight” – Phyllis Diller
Because adding some cheer to someone else’s day will lift your spirits, too
You don’t have to be a comedian to get someone to crack a smile. And since smiles are contagious, putting one on someone else’s face will almost always brighten your day, too. So try one (or more) of these 12 easy ways to get someone to grin today.
- Hold the door for someone instead of rushing to get to your workspace faster.
- Say “hi” to a customer as you pass them by.
- Treat the person behind you at the coffee shop to whatever they were planning to order.
- Have good manners. Although this may seem obvious, it’s often overlooked. Say please, thank you, and you’re welcome Get into the habit of being polite. A meaningful “you’re welcome” goes a long way towards cultivating positive feelings, and your customers will remember that you treated them well.
- Offer up your seat in a crowded place.
- Compliment a co-worker or friend on how well they pulled off a project they’ve been working hard on (as opposed to just complimenting them on their looks).
- Bring smiles into your phone conversations. You may not realize how much the tone of your voice changes when you smile, but it’s actually very noticeable – people can hear smiles even if they can’t see them.
- Treat your teammates well. Speaking of good feelings…Don’t forget to spread smiles among the people who work with you. If you do, they’ll treat your customers the way you treat them. If you’re always smiling, happy, and glad to talk with your teammates, you’ll find they’ll also carry that attitude towards people who buy from the business.
- Text or e-mail a friend a throwback photo of the two of you.
- Really laugh out loud. (It’s totally contagious!)
- Smile at someone. Chances are, they’ll smile back—but even if they don’t, at least you’ll be smiling!
- Tell a customer he or she is special. This is so easy to do, and it costs nothing to boost someone’s morale. People love to feel accepted and liked, so telling someone she is a special customer can go a long way towards making her feel awesome about herself – and that’s definitely going to make her feel good about you as well.
Want to add some extra punch to that last tip? Tell someone else that you think someone is special, while that person is standing right there listening. Think about how you’d feel if you heard someone you’ve hired or bought something from, tell another person that you’re a great person. You can’t help but smile when you hear compliments like that!
Extracts from http://www.womenshealthmag.com/life/how-to-make-people-smile